We’re pleased as [spiked] punch to welcome lifestyle expert Chadwick Boyd to The Virginia Eats + Drinks Show.
On the Jan. 12 episode, Chadwick gives us some tips on eating healthier in the new year, and discusses his Pan-Seared Salmon with Kumquats that he developed for Better Homes & Gardens.
- MAKES: 4 servings
- SERVING SIZE: 1 salmon fillet plus 1/3 cup caramelized kumquats and shallots
- MAKES: 4 salmon fillets plus 1-1/3 cups caramelized kumquats and shallots
- HANDS ON: 35 minutes
- TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
2-½ cups kumquats, halved
2 tablespoons sea salt
46 ounces fresh salmon fillets, skin on
1 large navel orange
2 cups water
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ cup thinly sliced shallots
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons grated fresh horseradish or prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
2/3cup dry white wine
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/2head radicchio, shredded
- In a medium bowl sprinkle kumquat halves with 1 tablespoon of the salt; let stand 25 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain. Pat dry; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brine salmon: Place fillets in a shallow dish. Over a bowl zest and juice orange; stir in the water and remaining 1 tablespoon salt until dissolved. Pour over salmon; let brine at room temperature 15 minutes.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add kumquats and shallots. Cook 8 minutes or until starting to brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Remove salmon from brine; pat dry. Season with salt and black pepper.
- In the same skillet heat 2 tablespoons. oil 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat. Add salmon, skin side down. (Oil will sizzle.) Press with a spatula to keep skin from curling. Cook 8 minutes without moving fish or until skin is brown and crispy and fillet is opaque. Using tongs, carefully turn fillets over; sear 1 minute. Transfer to a cutting board or plate, skin side up. Tent with foil.
- Drain fat from skillet; return to heat. Increase heat to medium-high. Add kumquat-shallot mixture, horseradish, and brown sugar; cook 1 minute. Carefully add wine; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until it reaches a saucelike consistency. Remove from heat. Stir in half the basil.
- Serve salmon over shredded radicchio and kumquat-shallot mixture. Top with remaining basil.
Thank you to Chadwick for sharing.